Friday, December 11, 2015

Chief Mark Magaw Announces Retirement; County Executive Names New Interim Chief


Chief Mark A. Magaw


Prince George’s County Police Chief Mark Magaw today announced his retirement after 32 years with the department. Chief Magaw has served as Chief of Police since December of 2010. During his tenure, crime in the county has dropped to historic lows. Chief Magaw has accepted a new position with Prince George’s County. He’ll soon serve as County Executive Baker’s Deputy Chief Administrative Officer for Public Safety.

“This is a bittersweet time. It’s been the honor of a lifetime to serve as the Chief of Police for this remarkable police department. The men and women of this agency are true public servants, committed to serving our community. I will miss working alongside the dedicated individuals who have made the department what it is today. I look forward to transitioning to my new position, where I will continue to have the opportunity to proudly serve the citizens of Prince George’s County,” said Chief Magaw.
  

Deputy Chief Hank Stawinski
County Executive Rushern Baker today announced Deputy Chief Hank Stawinski will be appointed Interim Chief of Police. Deputy Chief Stawinski currently heads the department’s Bureau of Patrol. He joined the Prince George’s County Police Department in 1992.
 
“I am humbled to be selected as the next Interim Chief of Police for the Prince George’s County Police Department. In recent years, we’ve made great strides in cutting crime in the county. I will work each day as the Interim Chief determined to make a positive difference for the citizens of the county and for the men and women of the police department. It will be a true honor to lead this department. In my opinion, the Prince George’s County Police Department is arguably the most progressive and effective department in the country today,” said Deputy Chief Stawinski.
 

Deputy Chief Gevonia Whittington
Deputy Chief Gevonia Whittington today also announced her retirement. She currently oversees the Bureau of Administration. Deputy Chief Whittington first joined the Prince George’s County Police Department in October of 1989. County Executive Baker has selected her to be the county’s next Director of Homeland Security.
 
“I am honored to have been selected to lead an agency that is such a critical component in the county government and I thank Mr. Baker for this opportunity. I am torn in my decision to retire. However, it is time to move on.  I am proud of my accomplishments and the many relationships I have formed on the police department and in the community. I look forward to this new challenge, while continuing to serve the citizens of Prince George’s County and working with Chief Magaw in a different capacity” said Deputy Chief Whittington.  

The County Council is charged with confirming the County Executive’s selection for Chief of Police. Once all dates are finalized, we will announce them.


No comments:

Blog Archive